Friday, August 29, 2014

God is Greater Than Our Struggle

Hello, friends! It's been well over a year since I last posted. And, quite a year it's been.

My husband got a new job. We moved into a house. Stephen was ordained.

There has also been some not so great things: loss of loved ones. Financial ups and downs. Loss of jobs, or jobs not gained. But, the one that has hit closest to my heart is cancer.


Last summer, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. In God's marvelous grace it wasn't too far along. She still had to have surgery and chemo, but it was not as bad as it could have been. It was still scary and difficult to see your own mom go through something so terrible as cancer. It was hard to see what it did to her physically: weakness, loss of hair. Spiritually, it was incredible. 
Her faith in Christ has been so evident in every step of the journey. She has been a testimony of God's grace for so many to see, including my dad. Though it is not evident he has accepted Christ, there's been small hints that he's been thinking through it which is a praise!

In a future post, I hope to go through this more and expound more on what I learned through this trial. 

For now,  I want to focus more on what all these trials have taught me.

In each of these difficulties, there has been one resounding theme that has been so hard to fully understand:

God is greater than the struggle.

What do I mean by this? 

In everything, sickness, money, death....God is greater. 
When it seems that these things take control of our lives, God is there and HE is greater

When everything is so overwhelming and falling apart, God IS greater

When it seems impossible for life to get better, God is GREATER

Psalm 9:9 says, 
" The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed,
    a stronghold in times of trouble."


When times are tough, God is there. As this verse says, He is our stronghold. When all else fails, he does NOT. 

Psalm 18 was written by David when the Lord rescued him for his enemies. At one of David's most fearful times, God delivers him. And, David praises him for this. This chapter is 50 verses, so instead of posting it all here, I'll share the first 3 verses. I urge you to go read the rest. 

I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 

 I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
    and I am saved from my enemies.


Another example, from Scripture, is Paul. In 2 Corinthians 11, he talks about how he was beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, adrift at sea, in danger from his own people and enemies. He goes on about how he can not boast in himself, for he is weak. He can only boast in Christ. In chapter 12, he says this:

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

In times of trial, when we are weak, God is greater. He is strong. When we lean on His grace, we will be strong. 
Paul continues, 

" Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

God is greater than our struggles. Why? So we can lean on Him. So, we can see how great and how awesome He is. So, we can boast and proclaim this truth. 

God is greater than ANYTHING we are going through. He IS our stronghold. He is there when nothing else is. 

" Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him." ~ James 1:12

When we realize God is greater, we will come out stronger. 

"Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and you won't start now..." ~ Oceans, by Hillsong
.
 

(click on the link to hear the whole song)







No comments:

Post a Comment